LOR & SOP
What is LOR & SOP?
LOR and SOP are two of the most important documents required while applying for admissions in Universities and Colleges. Nearly all Universities and Colleges require Letter of Recommendation (LOR) and Statement of Purpose (SOP) from previous academic institutions.
Statement Of Purpose (SOP)
SOP is basically an essay required by Universities and Colleges while taking admissions, that states about the students life, his reason and motivation behind choosing the course and his goals towards life and success. SOP mainly is of two types – one is question based essay and other is simply to state your statement of purpose.
Importance of SOP
A well written SOP is extremely important for your admission. SOP is a part of your admission packet over which you have full control. Your SOP informs the admission committee about the real you as it consists of everything related to you. It tells about who you are, what is the motivational factor behind choosing your career path, your professional interests and your future goals towards success and life. A well written SOP is golden ticket to your dream University or College. Some of the other factors where SOP works in your favour are
- Works as tie breaker with a fellow competeitor.
- Having low marks in any subject.
- Proove yourself in favour of your choice of course.
- Explain the reason for any gap or weak area.
How to Write a Good SOP?
Writing a good SOP is not an impossible task rather with little care, concerntration and time, you can write a good one. By keeping following points in view, one can write it easily
- Plan in advance to write your SOP and give it enough time.
- Once you are done with an initial draft then let your parents or friends read it.
- Collect their views to polish your essay to write a better version.
- Avoid any last minute update.
- Keep it simple and short.
- Be honest and logical.
Letter Of Recommendation (LOR)
A letter of Recommendation is a document or essay recommended by the previously attended academic institution in which the writer assesses the qualities, capabilities and characteristics of the student. In simple language, it’s a document written in support of the candidate preferably by an academician. This letter is required by every University or College in which students seek for admission. The person who writes your LOR should:
- Know you for a significant amount of time (at least one year)
- Have a good opinion of you, both personally and professionally
- Describe your work and character positively
- Know your educational and career goals
- Have the ability to write a well-written letter
Importance of LOR
A letter of recommendation (LOR) should reveal sufficient details and information that can help admission committee in making its decision. It should always address the purpose for which it is written i.e. to discuss both scholarly capabilities and personal characteristics of the candidate. It should give an overall picture of the candidate's personal characteristics, performance, experience, strengths, capabilities and professional promise. If appropriate and after consulting the student, you might wish to mention a financial hardship or other factor.
How to Write a Good LOR?
- Inform about how you know the candidate.
- Introduce yourself.
- Describe the candidate in terms that reflects its individual strength.
- Describe the individual’s qualities relevant to the course applied for.
- Keep it simple and short limited to a page content.
- In case of insufficient information, tell only what you are in a position to tell.
- Present the person positivelyand truthfully.
- Give a professional opinion.
- Conclude with a brief summary with emphasis on your recommendation for the candidate.