What to Expect In KVPY Interview
The Kishore Vaigyanik Protsahan Yojana(KVPY) is one of the most coveted scholarship examinations in India. The scheme involves two stages namely part 1written examination and part 2 interview. Only those who have cleared Part 1 with eligible cut off shall be eligible to attend the Part 2. While part 1 carries a weightage of 75%, the balance goes to the interview.
The winners shall get a generous scholarship as well as admission to IISc and the various IISERs in streams of Physics, Chemistry, Maths and Biology. The exam is scheduled every November and the Interview in January.
There are three categories SA (X1 Standard), SB (X11 Standard) and SX (First-Year College)
Typical Interview Questions
Q. Tell me something about yourself
This possibly is a difficult question you have to face. You can be precise and focussed while answering.
Q. Tell about your hobbies and extra-curricular activities
Be frank in answering this question. Please avoid mentioning of some hobby in which you have no experience. If you do not have a hobby, you can tell so. If you have some hobby, you should be prepared to explain the same vividly. Your inclination in dramatics or sports can be explained.
Q. Tell about your strong points as well as weak ones.
You can be frank as far as it will not hinder with your prospects. While answering these questions your personality should be reflected. The interviewers are keen to measure your aptitude and attitude towards life.
Q. Who are your role models?
You may indicate a few global personalities with reasoning to get an edge.
Q. How do you plan to spend your scholarship money?
Essentially the interviewer will judge your priorities and preferences from the answer you give.
Q. How you manage your time?
You can be frank about daily schedule including the hours you devote to studies.
Q. What is your aim in life?
This again to assess your priorities towards the society and nation
Q. What is your favourite subject?
You can be prepared for further questions based on your answer.
Q. Name your favourite teacher.
You may answer with logical reasoning.
Q. Tell me about your family and friends
You can give an idea about your cultural and social behaviour
Q. KVPY Interview is typical to assess your
- Holistic personality,
- Ability to meet challenges,
- Application of mind to problems in life,
- Outlook and mental agility,
- Presence of mind, confidence, alertness and expression
- Conceptual understanding of subjects
- Logical reasoning
- Soft skills
- General etiquettes and body language
- Capability of a candidate to brief and explain in a crisp way
- Knowledge of non-academic subjects
- Academic clarity and theoretical knowledge
The interview process is not tedious, and at the same time, not a cake walks if you are not prepared. Your being confident, frank, polite and cheerful matters more than the answers. Not necessarily you have to answer all the questions thrown at you. Your reaction to the real world situation is the crux of testing. Your stress level will be judged as well. The way in which you tackle uneasy-y questions and situations are also being judged during the interview.
The Interview panel may also check the temperament and body language of a candidate by asking basic questions or confusing ones. You may be asked to solve some complicated formula or equation. Your honesty, integrity and point of view count a lot.
Tips That Might Help You Shine During The Interview.
1. As you have qualified in Part 1, KVPY examination, you have proven your mettle. That confidence and exuberance would carry you through the tough questions passed on to you.
2. There is absolutely any reason why you should feel de-motivated or nervous during the interview.
3. You should be diligent in understanding the questions. Utilising your grasping power is the key to answering without becoming panicky.
4. You are to be extrovert during the interview so that the interviewers can feel your confidence level. Being shy would not help.
5. A sort of mock interviews between friends may help.
6. The dress code matters in the interview. You should wear a comfortable and formal dress.
7. Your self-confidence, expression, attitude and alertness should carry weight during the interview.
JEE Mains & Advance Preparation Resources
|JEE Physics||JEE Chemistry||JEE Mathematics|