ACT / SAT
SAT VS ACT
Very often the question whether the ACT is superior to Sat and vice versa. What we would suggest is that you may take either or both depending on the availability of them in your location as well as your preference. It is worthwhile as a student or parent to know the exact difference of these tests. Here below we give the key differences.
- SAT test is a content based test covering Reading (65 minutes), Mathematics (125 minutes), Writing and language (135 Minutes) and optional Essay (150 Minutes). No calculator is allowed for Maths test.
- ACT content based test covering English (45 Minutes), mathematics( 60 Minutes), Reading( 135 Minutes), Science (135 Minutes) and optional Essay writing (140 Minutes)
- The reading shall focus on context, grammar and usage in SAT where as the Grammar, usage, reading shall be in ACT.
- The questions in SAT shall be progressively tough except for reading section. For ACT the difficulty is given on a random level.
- Real world situations are given importance in SAT whereas for ACT straight foreword questions are provided
- Scoring in ACT is Math and Evidence-Based Reading & Writing are each scored on a scale of SAT score is the sum of the 200-800. Composite two section scores and ranges from 400-1600
- For ACT scoring English, Math, Reading, and Science scores will each range between 1-36. Composite ACT score is the average of your scores on the four sections; ranges between 1-36.
- In either case, there is no negative marking.
- If you have prepared for SAT and ACT, you can give your preference of the test to consider to the School.
- For the Maths test in SAT the following are the major focus”:
- Problem-solving & data analysis
- Heart of algebra
- Trigonometry ( formulas are provided)
- For ACT Maths the scope generally revolve in
- Algebra I and II
- Trigonometry (no formula provided)
- SAT is conducted seven times a year ie) March/ April, May, June, August, October, November and December.
- ACT is conducted six time a year ie) February, April, June, July, September, October, and December
- For SAT the deadline for registration is four weeks and for ACT six weeks before the test date.
Kindly note that some states offer the ACT as part of their state testing requirements; and hence these tests are not administered on the national test dates. It is advantageous if you can get coachiong from experience tutors on one to one basis. The personalized training is what matters in fulfilling your aim.
The best coaching and tutoring need not be the costliest. There are competitively priced coaching centers available to you.
There are many reasons to take both SAT and ACT. Many prestigious institutes like Stanford University, Harvard College, Stanford University, Yale University, Princeton University, Princeton University, and University of Chicago, Cal Tech prefer your taking both the tests. That is a smart choice for you .
You Can Prep More Efficiently
You’re applying to competitive schools and constructing a stellar college application —, which means you,’ll likely end up taking the SAT or ACT more than once to get the scores you want. If you have taken both SAT and ACT you will be able to understand that in which test you are able to perform better and which test structure suits you.
Knowing you have more than one option will lower your stress level—helping you perform better on test day, thereby you can cut down on stress substantially. Depending on your caliber and graqsping power you may cut down the number of tests you need to take as well
Some schools require applicants to submit scores from EITHER the ACT OR the SAT plus 2 to 3 SAT Subject tests. If you are planning to write SAT, you can also consider writing ACT on a safe side, this means that you can choose the best score amongst your SAT or ACT score.
You will have more options if you take up both tests together. Taking up both tests simultaneously gives you a lot more flexibility when it comes to choosing test dates. In addition, the subjects are almost same it is easy for you to prepare.
Your preparation in the right earnest is called for to get higher score in ACT or SAT that in turn will decide on the chances of getting admission to the reputed institutions. The stress level should be cut down, you are expected to be calm and composed while preparing or at the test to get the best out of you. Your creativity and imagination will be reflected on your optional essay. You are confident and show that too in the tests so that the school authorities will be impressed.
Get, set and go and all the best for your success in the near future.